Roentgen Works - Frequently Ask Questions on Roentgen Works ASP
1. Who / What is the target audience for this offering and why?
This offering is targeted at 1) facilities that have a support structure capable of managing the DICOM aspects of adding modalities and users, as well as providing a first level of support;
2) facilities that have a requirement for distribution of the studies via a browser or iPad. It is also an excellent platform for sites looking for a universal viewer: a single viewing platform
that can support disparate PACS, and find the same patient on multiple PACS, regardless of the user ID. This is done via
. We recommend that the facilities have a support structure since this offering comes with limited support. Contact BRIT for offerings with higher levels of support.
2. What does the service cost?
The service costs 0.50 for storage of a study up to 50 MB (compressed) and unlimited pulling of the studies. You are only charged extra if the average size is larger than this. So, for example, if you store 1000 studies a month, then you will only be charged extra if the total storage for those studies is greater than 1000 x 50 MB = 50 GB. You will be charged 0.50 for each 50 MB. 50 MB compressed is approximately 10 CR images or 300 CT/MRI images or 150 color ultrasound images, 2 Hologic digital breast images, but will vary with the resolution of the equipment and other factors. A typical average number BRIT sees in a mixed study environment is around 35 MB/study.
The average is done at the end of each month while billing. There is a $100 / month minimum fee.
The studies are stored for a minimum of 60 days, but can be stored contracted to be stored longer. The cost for 3 years of archival is 0.85 per study (with 0.85 per 50 MB of overage).
See for additional features.
3. What level of support comes with this offering?
When you sign-up for Roentgen Works, BRIT will work with the local IT to implement a network connection for the storage of studies. For more information on these options, see . The site is expected to add additional modalities, to add their users, set up patient discovery, etc. on their own, using the documentation provided by BRIT. BRIT will also investigate all DICOM issues and fix them if BRIT is not following the standard. BRIT will respond to all calls from facilities IT personnel on network issues.
For general support issues, there is a 900 support line available.
is optionally available.
4. What type of security is required for using Roentgen Works?
Your site establishes the rules. Roentgen Works supports both a VPN and the DICOM https protocol, which supports encryption without the VPN. BRIT prefers the images to be stored to us using at least lossless compression. For more information about tools to provide compression and encryption, see
5. What infrastructure and Security is provided by Roentgen Works?
Roentgen Works provides a cloud-based utility and studies are replicated in at least two BRIT facilities.
Physical Security: The facilities are highly secured and the equipment within the facility is also in locked racks/cages.
Electronic security: Studies are stored and accessed via encrypted methods. Facilities only have access to studies performed at their site(s). Sites can establish their own password policies.
6. How do I sign-up for Roentgen Works?
You can sign-up directly on the web-site. Enter your contact information and select the method of payment: PO, credit card or Pay Pal.
Note: a PO needs to state that the minimal monthly fee is $100.
Note: that you need to indicate on the form the site name you wish to use and the AE Title you want for your virtual DICOM Server on Roentgen Works.
BRIT will issue the site an administrative user ID and password which will be emailed to you. You set up your own users and additional modalities.
BRITís attached terms and conditions include a Business Associates Agreement (BAA). To have BRIT use your facilityís, send a copy of the agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org for review. BRIT will contact you if there are any issues or return the signed contract.
7. How do I start viewing the images on Roentgen Works from my computer?
The administrative user must set up user IDs and permissions for all the users at a site. The users can then log-on to the server by starting up any browser and pointing to the URL provided by the system administrator. We recommend one of the following browsers for optimal performance and functionality:
Google Chrome, FireFox or Safari.
8. How do I start viewing image on Roentgen Works from my iPad?
The administrative user must set up user IDs and permissions for all the users at a site. Users can purchase the iPad viewer from the Apple Store. The iPad user points the application at the server by entering the IP address/host name of the server provided by the system administrator and logs in. Users should review the functionality and view the video of the iPad before downloading, as it is non-refundable.
Note: the same user ID and password is used for both iPad and browser access.
9. Is there a way of importing PDI Compliant CDs into Roentgen Works?
Any standard CD importer should work. Just select this server as the target PACS. BRITís PACSView product also provides this capability, but must be purchased separately.
10. Is there a way of attaching files to studies?
Yes, there is a tool to upload pdfs and other file types to attach to studies. There is no additional charge for attaching these, as long as the 50 MB/study is not surpassed.
11. Is there a way of adding reports to the studies?
Yes, reports can be added directly to the studies by attaching them to the study manually or, via the optional HL-7 interface.
12. What does the HL-7 Interface Cost?
There is an additional cost for using the HL-7 Interface of .15 per study. When using the HL-7 interface, any reports stored are kept for the duration of the contract, i.e. they are not removed after 60 days. This is because it is hard to resend reports.
Roentgen Works uses IHE specified mappings for the HL-7 interface and if your end of the interface uses these, the interface should work without any changes. If changes are required, BRIT will provide those services on a time and materials basis.
13. Can this product be used to provide a browser-based viewer and iPad viewer to our legacy PACS?
Absolutely! All you have to do is set-up your PACS to DICOM store studies to the Roentgen Works and the Roentgen Works will handle the image distribution via a browser or the iPad. We would also recommend the HL-7 interface for report distribution.
14. If this is front-ending our PACS, how can the user access comparison studies?
There are three basic ways to access the comparison studies:
- Have the PACS auto-route them along with the study (most PACS will support this type of pre-fetching);
- Have the Roentgen Works DICOM Query and Retrieve them based on a set of rules or
- Use to show the user a time line of the studies available on the other server and then have the user select the ones they wish to download and view. Setting this up will be the most cost-effective because the users will only pull the studies of interest.
15. Is there a way to verify and review the monthly bill?
Yes, of course. Anytime during the month, an administrative user can review a list of all studies stores during a given time period or just review the statistical analysis.
16. What is the length of the contract?
The contract is month to month. If at any time you are not happy with the service, you may cancel and the contract is over at the end of that month. All studies on the server for your site will then be erased from the server and all access will be turned-off. Basically, it costs $100 to try Roentgen Works for a month.
17. Can the Roentgen Works auto-route stored studies to other locations?
Yes, auto-routes can be set-up to automatically send studies to other locations for a small additional fee. Pulling studies is always free.
18. Could this solution replace CD Burning for distribution to doctors?
Yes, in some cases. It is a convenient method for outside physicians to view studies, but it is much more difficult (but not impossible) for them to import these studies into their PACS. For them to view studies, you can either give them a user ID and password into your system OR give it to the patient. For them to import the studies into their systems, they need to establish a DICOM connection with the server, download the studies and then merge them in with the correct patient on their PACS. BRIT PACSView provides an importing tool that could provide these features.
19. Can the studies be accessed via my EMR?
In most cases, the answer is yes. BRIT will provide a URL link to your EMR company at no additional cost. For other methods, please send a request to email@example.com.
20. What additional services are available and what do they cost?
21. Could we use this as a ďtrialĒ and then bring the system in-house?
Yes, The Roentgen Works ASP works wonderfully well as a trial.
- Roentgen Works is available for purchase.
- As part of the purchase, BRIT will transfer the existing information on your server to the purchased server, so no information is lost.
- You can keep your DICOM serverís AE Title